|1736 - The earliest evidence of the existence of our congregation is in the records of the old Dutch Church in Kingston, under the date of October 21, 1736, when Rev. George W. Mancius baptized five children at "Schavegonk". From this early date the Dutch, French-Huguenot and German settlers in this area began to look to the Kingston Church for pastoral care, because there was no formally organized congregation here at Shawangunk
1751 - Isaac Hasbrouck purchased a six-acre site for a future church. Our parsonage was completed in 1751, and a Subscription List to finance a church edifice was drawn up. The 86 signers pledged 692.15.6 pounds in money and labor, and work on our present stone structure commenced in 1752, with the sale of pews in the completed church being held on December 26, 1755.
According to tradition, the workmen were forced to construct a log stockade around the site to protect themselves from hostile Indians while the work proceeded. Meanwhile the pioneer settlers had joined with the New Paltz Church to obtain the services of our first Pastor. Rev. Barent Vrooman. He began his work here in 1753, but remained only one year.
On October 10, 1753, 23 members of the Kingston church were dismissed to create our formal organization as a congregation here at Shawangunk
1760-1771 - Rev. Johannes Goetschius, served from 1760 until his death in 1771. He was buried beneath the pulpit, under the floor of the church. Our churchyard has tombstones from 1752, including those of 43 of at least 143 men in the congregation who fought in the Revolutionary War. During the years 1794-1797 our church building underwent a series of modifications.
The west windows were converted into doors to be used as the main entrance, and the pulpit moved to the east wall, the pews were then turned to face it. The present galleries (never used for slaves) were then constructed, together with the unique exterior staircase. At the same time the 1 1/2 story parsonage was converted into a full 2-story dwelling.
During 1833 and 1834 further work was done, and the 5 pillared porticoes were built to protect the stairs. The original entrance on the south wall was then closed in 1881. Our colonial-style pulpit and choir lofts were added in 1961.
In the course of our long history, this congregation has been the source of five other Reformed congregations in this area. New Hurley 1770, New Prospect 1815, Guilford 1833 - 1930, Wallkill 1869 and Gardiner 1890.
Today it continues to inspire and encourage the further progress of the Kingdom of God through strong preaching, teaching and corporate worship. Come and join us for worship this Sunday. Worship is at 11:00 a.m. If you need to start your day earlier we have a shorter service at 8:30 a.m. In either case we would love to have you come.
Our Mission: We are a family called of God in Christ, and empowered by the Holy Spirit, to worship and faithfully carry out His ministry to God's people and to the world so loved by Him.